Tim Scott was born in London in 1937. He initially trained as an architect from 1954 to 1959 whilst simultaneously studying sculpture part-time at St Martin’s School of Art. Later working at an architectural practice in Paris, Scott encountered images of the work of the American sculptor David King.
Inspired by King’s abstract forms and the original techniques and materials employed to make them, Scott returned to London to teach sculpture at St Martin’s alongside his former teacher Anthony Caro. It was here that he began experimenting with unconventional materials including acrylic sheet, fibreglass and glass to produce volumetric forms with brilliant colours. Scott’s choice of materials stood apart from his contemporaries, as Caro and several of his students favoured the use of heavy industrial steel at this time.
By the end of the 1960s Scott became increasingly frustrated by the fragile nature of plastics and the impossibility of placing such delicate works outside. He subsequently began working solely with steel, a method that would characterise his work of the 1970s. Scott’s works were exhibited in two solo shows in London during the 1960s at the Waddington Galleries (1966) and the Whitechapel Gallery (1967).
His work is represented in the collections of many major museums and galleries including the Tate, the Arts Council of Britain, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and the Museum of Modern Art, New York. Scott now lives and works in Yorkshire and Sri Lanka